Thursday, November 10, 2005

Got Till Monday to Make up My Mind


On a serious note, urs trully had yesterday been offered 2 roles with 2 different companies after a grueling 3-staged 3 week interview process. I'm sure most of you are aware that i've been interviewing for the last 2 months or so. During that time, I had 3 final close calls where it was down to me or the other guy, and another 4 rejects at stage 2 of these interviews. Probably did about 10 interviews this year before the 2 companies put in an offer on the same day. Both companies have a great outlook, both in the city center and are offering the same kind of money. Its scary deciding which one to go for especially when a mistake could cost me all sorts of unemployment issues. Damn i wish it was that easy, but i wasn't. Below are the general summary of the 2 companies without revealing the name of them and maybe you can help me decide ay?

CompanyA
They're a big trading company with an income of like 200million per month and a complicated system to handle their operations. The system is currently running on Unix and oracle database and development is marginalized to the writing of unix based c to access and update database in a shared environment. The company has been here for the last 50 years and is very stable economicaly, so I needn't need to be worried about being out of the job for the next 10 years even. Also the company has plans to build an entirely new system on C# to replace the old one. Something that I could get involved in to improve my exposure to .Net technologies. These plans are however not confirmed yet. Besides a good pay package the company also provides medical, super annuation and free parking. Real stable deal, but less exciting i find to fire my free spiririt and to feed my soul living on the edge. did I mention that most of the empoyees had been there for like 10-15 years or more.

CompanyB
A real deal start up with a string of funders, 5 employees and a million bucks in the account. The started developing a system for the airline ticketing in 98 and has maintained this project ever since as a consultancy company. But now they've been developing city hall coordination tracking systems in C++ and C# and want me to join them in finishing off this system before selling it in north america, uk n ozzie. They've got orders in but an unfinished product. I can feel their potential and almost taste their growth in the near future. CEO says that theres another 20 projects in pipeline but they need to concentrate on ones that make $$$ for now. They reckon they'd break even by end of 2006. Its all coding on notebook, in cramp office in C++ and C#. The pay is the same with CompanyA, but no other benefits. Although the deal is somewhat less, but the fire in my heart n soul in my belly says to go for it.

What say you reader? Which one would it be for you?
|